It is our goal at HHARC is to make the testing experience as enjoyable as possible. To that end, here are a few basic items to help out:
- Walk-ins are permitted. Please make sure you have the following items as we are not able to administer your exam without every item.
- All applicants may register to get a unique PIN needed for the exam session, as well as obtain their FRN (links below). While the PIN can be obtained at the exam, it helps if you do this beforehand; your FRN, on the other hand (see below,) MUST be applied for as soon as you can. Be sure to use the exact same name spelling and both documents as that is what will be sent to the FCC. Register for the test at HamStudy.
- If you do not yet have an FRN number from the FCC you will need to request one and MUST bring that number with you. You can get started with that here: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support/universal-licensing-system-uls-resources/getting-fcc-registration-number-frn
- If you have your license and are looking to upgrade, please bring an original or reference copy to submit with your application. Please note that whatever you choose to bring must be submitted to the ARRL. You can get started here if you want to print a reference copy to turn in: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp
- Search for yourself via call sign or name
- In the result click on your call sign
- Click on ‘Reference Copy’ from the menu thread above your information
- Print a physical copy and bring with you to the exam. We MUST submit an original or reference copy of your license with your exam.
- Bring a valid state or federal photo ID if you have one. Minors must come with an adult with a valid ID.
- The testing fee is $15 and cash is preferred or may be paid by check. Credit cards are not accepted. You can continue to take additional Element exams after passing at no additional charge. To retake a failed Element is another $15 per each attempt.
- Expired license? If you previously had an amateur license that has expired (other than technician), let us know about it before your exam, so that we can set up the exam system appropriately for you. In some cases you may qualify for various credits.
Starting April 19, 2022 The FCC has implemented Application fees for New, Renew, and Vanity call applications. These Fees are separate from exam fees and are payable to the FCC using https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do. The Fees will show up as payable as soon as the VEC processes the applications and post them to the FCC.